Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Social Media Withdrawal

This year for lent I gave up Facebook. It had just gotten to the point where I would be on it for absolutely no reason and waste so much of my time. I also think I needed a little break away from knowing everything going on in someone's life before they really even tell you. I thought it would make me actually call someone up if I wanted to talk to them instead of creeping on their Facebook page. Now I knew I was constantly connected to this Facebook world, whether it be on my computer or on my phone, I was always able to go on wherever I was. I'll be honest though, I don't think I realized HOW much I was constantly on it and now that's it's gone this absence seems humungous. I think it's a little sad, but also reality, that most of our generation is so technologically dependent. In a way we are a little spoiled. When my parents moved away from the country where they were born, they weren't able to see their family for years, until they could save up enough money to make it back home. I moved across the country from my family and I can text or call them every day, see what they are doing on their Facebook, skype them if I'm feeling a little homesick. I think sometimes we take all of these things for granted. I also think (to at least someway tie this post to education) that this is part of the main reason for this class, because if our generation is so heavily dependent on technology, I can only imagine what my students will be using and the things they will be able to do. I think it's important to be aware that this is a way for us to connect to our students and actually get them interested in doing things in class. Anyway these are all the things that this absence from Facebook has made me think about, and I'll be honest miss a little bit. One more month to go!




P.S. I found this image on Google and it was a Wordle from students writing about abstaining from the internet for 24 hours, which I thought was kind of cool because it was one of our presentations in class. Here was a link to the story if you feel like reading it
http://spotlight.macfound.org/blog/entry/social-media-withdrawal-what-happens-when-kids-give-up-their-connections/

No comments:

Post a Comment