Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Rough

So I was supposed to catch everyone up on the last week here in Mexico City, but honestly today was a pretty rough day for me, so I would rather get out a little venting first and then I can catch up.

I'm not usually one to be in a bad mood, but I just couldn't help it today. Up until this point in my student teaching I haven't really had a horrible day. Don't get me wrong, I've had my challenges, but today was different for some reason. I just felt like what I taught today wasn't up to my best potential and, to be honest, the students could tell too. I'm having some issues because I am teaching grammar right now to 10th graders and today it just felt like I was beating my head into a wall. I know I'm an English teacher, but grammar just isn't my strongest teaching subject. I think it is really hard to get the students to stay engaged and get them excited about grammar. I'm sure there are ways to do it, I just need to think of them! Luckily Tim is also here and teaching English in the high school, so he tries to help me out when he can. For some reason he actually likes grammar lol jk.

I don't like the feeling of not being prepared and knowledgable about what I am teaching and that's somewhat how I felt today. Ultimately, it is my fault because I should take the time to make sure I feel prepared and ready for the day, but sometimes it is difficult because all I want to do here is travel and witness the culture of Mexico City.

Like I said, I am usually an extremely happy person, always seeing the silver lining in a situation but I just couldn't get there today. In an attempt to cheer myself up I went to a yoga class held every Tuesday and Thursday by one of the teachers at the school. Even in the worst moods, yoga can usually make me feel more relaxed and I am able to see that things aren't quite as drastic as I may have originally thought. At the end of the class, the instructor gave us each our own little quote on a piece of paper.

My quote

It really did cheer me up a little bit to read this and apply it to my feelings throughout the day. When I got home I checked my email and realized that a couple of my old students from New Castle had posted on the blog we kept in class and I promised them I would keep while I am down here. It was just strange that they would decide to blog today when they hadn't done anything in about a week. I don't know what made a bunch of them get on today and blog or comment to me, but it was appreciated and needed more then they know. It was the only actual thing that pulled me out of my little funk and made me realize that one bad day does not reflect upon my teaching as a whole.

So now I'm sitting here blogging to all of you and just getting some things off of my chest. Most of the other student teachers are at a Mexican wrestling match tonight and I was supposed to be with them. I am a little sad that I am missing out on something because I want to make sure I take advantage of every opportunity, but I just needed some "me" time to clear my head and get myself together.

Sorry for the somewhat depressing blog, tomorrow will be better.

Suzanne


"Persevere: to persist in anything undertaken; maintain a purpose in spite of difficulty, obstacles, or discouragement; continue steadfastly."















No comments:

Post a Comment